bonjour celine header

6.10.10

cat food

feeding time

cat food

an excited mojo

yom nom mea

king & queen

I hope we dont' sound like 'crazy cat people' when I tell you this, but I am so happy with our results, I thought I would spread the good news. We recently switched Mea and Mojo's food from cat kibble to raw meat.

Several events led us to try this, but the main reason was because Mea got sick a couple months ago. We still don't know what happened, but it had something to do with her digestive track. She wasn't eating anything for awhile, and the vet told us that it is very important to make her eat anything, even treats and other cat junk food. A cat will start to decompose its' own body after 24 hours of no food consumption. That sounds really really scary!

While I was looking for things that cats find delicious, I came across sites that talked about the benefits of raw food for cats. All their reasons made sense, but some solutions were really intense. Some diets involved grinding whole chickens (bones included!!) at home and adding supplements bought from health food stores. Jin and I simply do not have time for that!

I scoured the internet for a less intense alternative, and I found this forumla for cats (
http://rawmeatcatfood.com/) where you mix it with ground meat, and then it is ready to serve! Mojo loved it immediately (as we suspected he would) but Mea took a little time to convert (princess).

Now that we have finally converted them to a completely raw meat diet, we can already see the benefits! Their coat is shinier and softer, and they seem to have a lot more energy. I am hoping Mojo will slim down a little too. Our vet said he was getting concerningly heavy for his age! Poor boy!

What can I say? they are the real king and queen of our house!

I want this cat to be part of our home. (via)



20 comments:

  1. aww, they're very cute! They look like they rule the household.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your cats are absolutely beautiful! and i am glad that mea is eating again : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're adorable! And good for Mea, I'm glad she's feeling better! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's interesting! Hope your cats are doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same comment as HomeCollection !-)
    Or, being your cat ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to hear such great results with raw meat diet! One of my cats eats raw meat, never eaten anything else, but this inspired me to think that we could change our other cat's diet too. She loves her kibbles, but maybe if your princess has learned to like her new diet, our princess could too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. sweet little babies!! I'm happy their happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to hear it's working for the kitties.

    My old roommate would feed raw meat to her cats, and she was a crazy cat person! You don't even compare, Celine. There were three cats, and she would feed each one of them different food: chicken neck, buffalo meat, and whatever the big one was eating. And she herself would eat popcorn! Craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew about feeding raw meat before, but also read more about it when we had a similar problem, as you had with Mea, last winter. Unfortunately until now the cat had ignored all meat I offered him, while he's obsessed by stinky cheese and vegetarian spread - haha. But this method sounds interesting... great that it worked! Cats... (Indeed, a pretty bowl!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha i loved the (princess) bit. Darling photos. I'm glad you guys found a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is the best post i have seen in a long time. your blog is so special. as are your sweet cats! so glad your cat is munching away again. xo b

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh im happy you found a even more healthy remedy for your sick cat! hmmm raw meat, that sounds interesting, i should try that for my cats....i did not know that about the cats body decomposing itself after 24hours.....thats crazy! i wanna know more about this

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha, crazy cat people ;) I'm crazy in your cats now :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful bowl!! lovely cats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. your kitties are so cute! and you don't sound like a crazy cat lady. I have a pup and I always fret about what she is eating, if we should try something new... she is SO picky! but I want her to have good nutrition. our pets are like our babies!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So adorable!
    I think your cats are very attractive and beautiful(maybe they're always so clean :) nice!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was wondering if you ever followed through on making your cats food. I am wanting desperately to change Isha's diet from the vet's brand of food (Hill's) because I think it's kinda gross and if I wouldn't eat it, why should she? But I have to give her a low-protein diet so I have no idea what to do. And I know the vet is just going to shlock their food. Sighhhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are really nice! If you take a look at my blog, you'll see that there are from time to time some cats too... but no fear to be a creazy cat girl :)
    Thanks for the advice about food. I'll have a look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wish i knew about this earlier. our cat had stopped eating more and more. we didn't know what was wrong and our vet wasn't very good and just thought she had something stuck in her digestive tract. we took her to another vet who said her liver was much smaller than what it should have been and there wasn't anything we could do anymore. anyways...i'm glad your cat is doing much better.

    ReplyDelete